Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Spring has Sprung--in Kansas!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Spring has Sprung--in Kansas!  This thread currently has 144 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
March 29, 2021, 3:46pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Spring has sprung---in Kansas!

The off and on again rains have ceased (for now) and a window opened up Sunday March 28 that was suitable for flying. That day was and is bordered by winds gusting to 50 mph, but Sunday the winds were 10 mph with gusts at 1000 feet at 20 mph. Certainly tolerable weather for an hour of pleasure flying.

Leaving Cook Airfield (K50) I headed almost due South for 30 miles to Oxford Field (55K) as opposed to my normal local flying. I was mostly reassuring my confidence in the GPS and just wanted to go someplace I hadn't been in a few years.

Temperature was just under 60 degrees and the sky mostly clear, however the pungent odor of burning grass and intermittent smoke haze detracted somewhat from the flight. At this time of year, farmers burn their fields on a three-year rotational basis. This eliminates weed seeds and allows the sun's heat to warm the earth for this year's emerging Brome Hay. 

Fields will be cultivated and planted with cotton, soybeans, corn, and other seasonal crops. The winter wheat planted last fall is already about 6" tall. The topography is a mixture of burned & cultivated fields, new wheat, windbreak tree lines, watersheds, and the Arkansas River. A refreshing view from my previous flight when everything was mostly brown.

Enjoy the photos of my little flight, there will be more. Hopefully I can join up with others for those $25 hamburgers. (The $100 burger costs less in my AirBike!)

Paul D. Fiebich
a.k.a. AirBike Ace

Attachment: cropland_over_the_cowl_etlb__740.jpg
Size: 63.24 KB

Attachment: cockpit_forward_view_etlb__8112.jpg
Size: 60.82 KB

Attachment: burned_field_etlb__3722.jpg
Size: 75.38 KB

Attachment: smoke_through_the_struts_etlb__1267.jpg
Size: 60.38 KB

Attachment: oxford_55k_over_cowl_etlb__7879.jpg
Size: 58.81 KB

Attachment: oxford_runway_55k_etlb__103.jpg
Size: 57.30 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
aeronut
March 30, 2021, 11:09am Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Great pictures. Glade you are able to enjoy being aloft. Thanks for posting.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 2
cdlwingnut
March 31, 2021, 12:22pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
looked like fun, glad you could get a flight in
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 2
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Spring has Sprung--in Kansas!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment