Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Strut Replacement
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Strut Replacement  This thread currently has 262 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fiebichpv
November 20, 2020, 7:05pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
Several years ago I purchased a set of four Challenger Tandem struts. During this Covid situation, I finally made time to alter and install them on my AirBike single.

The Challenger struts have the advantage of being made from extruded aluminum, are an aerodynamic shape, adjustable in length, and weigh a total of four pounds less than the ones I made when building (including the fairing) the plane in 1998.

First step was to measure the length of the current struts from their fuselage attach point to the wing spar attach point. Compensating for the attaching hardware, one end of each strut was cut off to produce the proper overall length. New holes were drilled for the attaching hardware and bolted securely.

The old struts were removed one at a time and the new struts installed. Some adjustment in their lengths was necessary to achieve the proper dihedral. This installation was followed by a new weight and balance calculation which determined the CG was in the center of the range during both the gross weight and sans fuel. Same CG result for both.

One photo shows me verifying the level's bubble position. That photo illustrates why I wrote  my recent magazine article "Shrinking AirBike" which is posted on my AirBike website: Paul.Fiebich.org. and on my Facebook page: "The airbike ace."

Following a thorough pre-flight, I made a test flight. That flight determined the plane had a right banking tendency. Back in the hangar to make adjustments. Those were to correct a height measurement error during installation and take out a bit of positive incidence in the high wing. Another test flight will be made when weather conditions are acceptable.

Being able to do this myself is another advantage of building in the EXPERIMENTAL category.

With the sun low in the sky, shadows were long making for a preferred time for photography. The terrain photos show a farmstead, watershead, and a general panorama view. Kansas is again in a drought condition compounded by the normally dry Fall weather.

Paul. D. Fiebich
a.k.a. AirBike Ace

Attachment: paul_comparing_struts_etlb___6792.jpg
Size: 38.75 KB

Attachment: attachment_ends_etlb__8015.jpg
Size: 26.26 KB

Attachment: resized_struts_etlb___5097.jpg
Size: 33.66 KB

Attachment: new_strut_attach_point_at_wing_etlb__3042.jpg
Size: 25.53 KB

Attachment: new_struts_installed_etlb__8018.jpg
Size: 44.86 KB

Attachment: leveling_fuselage_etlb__7458.jpg
Size: 47.20 KB

Attachment: _etlb___9881.jpg
Size: 33.11 KB

Attachment: imprint_farm_distant_etlb__694.jpg
Size: 63.95 KB

Attachment: brandyberry_farm_11162020_etlb__3082.jpg
Size: 84.34 KB

Attachment: watershed_etlb__6939.jpg
Size: 71.79 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
fiebichpv
November 20, 2020, 7:14pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 3
aeronut
November 21, 2020, 12:32pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Thanks for the post Paul. I always enjoy your articles and stories; keep up the good work. Have the best Thanksgiving possible under these wacky circumstances and stay safe everyone.

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 3
fiebichpv
November 29, 2020, 6:45pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks to the observant eye of Scott Peterman, he noticed a potential bending/stress situation with the strut attachment method at the wing brackets/block. I will make a modification and post the results when completed. It will take awhile now that cold weather has settled in and it is difficult to work in a cold hangar.

Paul D. Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 3
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Strut Replacement

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment