Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  Max project finally seen daylight Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Max project finally seen daylight  This thread currently has 393 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
kfb
September 11, 2020, 1:13am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 5 days 13 hours 10 minutes
Hi
Have now just about finished the trailer/mobile hangar I built for my Max project and just about finished the Max project.  Hopefully photos will be included here.  Bought an unfinished Hi-Max kit about three years ago, changed to a flat top, changed from 447 fuselage to half vw type to accommodate a Mosler CB-40 I got out of Canada, not sure if it is me or not but I have a heck of a lot of time in this plane, and a lot more money than I would have believed possible.  My $500 investment to get the kit originally now probably only represents7-8% of the total.  Who'd a thunk?  Oh well, I enjoy building.  Then the $200 topless pop top camper comes along and it is probably over $1000.  All this is why we never talk about dollar numbers in this hobby of ours right.

Anyway, I built it hoping to incorporate innovations to enhance quick assemble / disassemble operation, not yet sure how successful I was there.  Persons on this site have alluded to twenty minutes up and down, I don't think my practice runs in the basement have done better than thirty minutes, haven't tried it outdoors with more room to work yet.

Haven't run the engine yet, my engine guy is briefly indisposed, and I just got it outside so should be soon, have had several similar engines so I am optimistic on this one that is "40 horse".  

I intend to put maybe ten hours on it to iron out any wrinkles and then regroup and decide what to do with it.  Hangars here are impossible, that was part of the idea for the mobile hangar trailer, and tie downs are even expensive.  And then northern New England weather for an open cockpit plane.  One option is to put it at a tie down and I just got a line on a Mini Max fabric tie down cover for $400, could do that from maybe April-Dec and then put it in the trailer and tow it home for the winter.  Or I could sell it.  

All to be determined, anyway, hopefully a couple of photos follow

Kim Brown
New Hampshre

Attachment: max_1_6676.jpg
Size: 124.62 KB

Attachment: max_3_1165.jpg
Size: 108.77 KB

Attachment: max_2_6319.jpg
Size: 94.49 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
kfb
September 14, 2020, 11:14pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Hi
Someone posted a message here asking about the weight of my Max.  I didn't have the answer but intended to respond when I do weigh it all, but now the message has disappeared, I guess you can pull messages once they have been posted?  Kind of odd.  Anyway, I will post weight when I know it.
Kim Brown
New Hampshire
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
Bob Daly
September 15, 2020, 5:02pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 45 days 22 hours 25 minutes
The trailer looks great and could be your answer to long term on-airport storage.  Certainly an airport could find a parking spot for less than even a tiedown fee.  And the trailer side could have a fixture to hold a wing tip while you put the wing on.  The plane looks nice too.
Private Message Reply: 2 - 10
kfb
October 7, 2020, 2:08am Report to Moderator
Ace
Hi
Have the trailer pretty much finished, winch installed to pull the plane up the ramps, wing racks cushioned and solid, tight squeeze width wise for the tail, I think one inch each side to spare.  Need to work on ramps, the separate 2 x 10s are perhaps not the way to go, I did not want to do a full width sheet of heavy plywood though.  
Anyway, it is a little work to get it in and out, more than I would have thought, but I guess at 73 years old things will seem harder than anticipated.  Anyway, not bad looking once in.
Next we put the prop on and see what the engine is like.  News on that to follow as my engine guru just had a death in the family and might be sidetracked for just a bit.  Will keep you advised on how the Mosler CB-40 works out.
Having trouble getting photo to show in this post
Kim Brown
Hampton Falls, NH

Attachment: max_in_trailer_3862.jpg
Size: 128.06 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
PUFF
October 7, 2020, 11:31am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Yes, you'll be happier with the plywood, as the 2X8's might allow a wheel to drop off and break your prop.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
ITman496
October 7, 2020, 12:15pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 1 days 23 hours 31 minutes
I love that trailer!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
aeronut
October 7, 2020, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Looks great to me, What you could do on the ramps is add sides to the ramps with 1/2 inch plywood to keep the tires on the ramps. Make them about 3" taller than the surface of the ramp to create a trough effect.Just an idea.  

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
ITman496
October 7, 2020, 12:51pm Report to Moderator

Ace
I just relocated my plane to my new house and man, the wings are heavier then I remembered.  Gonna be interesting setting them up myself.  Also, I like the ramp with little side guides idea..
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
Tom
October 7, 2020, 1:39pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
At 73 you are running into what I call my Theory of Gravitational Increase with Age.  Everything gets heavier as you grow older, obviously an unnoticed scientific truth.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
ITman496
October 8, 2020, 3:43am Report to Moderator

Ace
I'm only 26, I am terrified about how it will feel to put this thing together in 47 years!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 10
mullacharjak
October 8, 2020, 6:33am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 3 days 21 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from ITman496
I'm only 26, I am terrified about how it will feel to put this thing together in 47 years!

I feel sad when for one reason or the other we cant start building/complete and fly our dream plane. For the older people the time may already have run out as things become harder to accomplish.
For the younger lot the correct approach is to expedite the process before its too late more so if one has got an Almost ready to fly minimax to begin with. .I think it has more to do with conquering our fears than anything else.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment