Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  varnish Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 17 Guests

varnish  This thread currently has 282 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
JGlassFNP
July 29, 2019, 1:03pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
What type and brand of varnish did you guys use and any problems with flaking after some age? I have parts of my plane that are several years old that was varnished as it was completed and flaky now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
flydog
July 29, 2019, 7:26pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 50 days 41 minutes
Poly Fiber epoxy varnish.
No flaking.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 6
JGlassFNP
July 29, 2019, 10:52pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Thank you, J
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 6
Tom
July 30, 2019, 11:19am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
What I use for coatings like this is WEST System(tm) epoxy with the Special Coating Hardener.  It gives a great finish, has UV filters and since it has no volatile materials it stabilizes the wood completely as there are no micro passages from evaporating solvents.  If used on exterior parts I put three coats of Epifanes varnish over it for additional protection.  It has an additional advantage in that it makes softwood parts less susceptible to denting in handling, etc.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 6
JGlassFNP
July 30, 2019, 12:02pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Tom, how would you handle the area that are old, there is mild flaking in a couple of spots which I will have to sand out I guess but if no flaking would you just over coat on it?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 6
Tom
July 30, 2019, 3:18pm Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 16 days 10 hours 21 minutes
In the case of old coatings I'd try awfully hard to figure out what the original varnish was chemically.  If it is spar varnish which had volatile solvents in it original you don't want to try to coat over it with anything else.  If the varnish is deteriorated some combination of very fine sand paper and possibly very careful use of a cabinet scraper where it is flaking would be the best way to get a reasonable surface.  Try not to sand all the way through the coating any more than you can help, but remember even if the surface seems in good condition to sand thoroughly as you don't want to build up the thickness of the varnish any more than you can help.  Adding thickness to the varnish adds more weight than you'd ever believe possible.  On previously varnished surfaces which used conventional varnish with volatile materials in it I would use the highest quality Epifanes conventional varnish.  If the varnish is flaking in areas inside the aircraft where the sun doesn't get at it chances are somebody "saved money" by using "inexpensive" varnish.  This is one of those areas where "saving money" on the material itself is a bad idea.

Unless you are recovering your aircraft you are just going to have to do the very best you can.  If you were going to recover the aircraft I would say the safest best would be to go to carefully removing all the varnish, using a remover which will not damage epoxy and start from scratch with the WEST System epoxy and Special Coating Hardener.  Done properly you should not have to worry about redoing it ever again.

Tom
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 6
JGlassFNP
August 5, 2019, 1:40pm Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Sounds good, thanks so much Tom. James
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print