Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Off Topic  ›  how many certificated pilots?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 4 Guests

how many certificated pilots?  This thread currently has 899 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
nathan.bissonette
May 26, 2019, 2:17pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
Tom posted a comment on the Bother thread about Part 103 being a boon for people without much money and older in years.  He's right, but another major factor is the pilot's license itself.  Lots of seniors can't pass the medical and even a light sport license costs a bundle.

Got me to wondering: how many people on this forum are certificated pilots?  

I'm not.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Bob Hoskins
May 26, 2019, 6:20pm Report to Moderator

Fly Safe
Ace
Time Online: 38 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Hey
Sport pilot. Fly a 1946 11BC Chief, also have a 1916 Nieuport 11, I built. Got my pilot liscense in 2015 at 73 yeqrs old.
built a Himax and flew it in 2006 (did my solo in it). Me an skyblazer both built one. Me a 1400Z and he a 1300z.
Bob

Fly safe and have fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 32
radfordc
May 27, 2019, 3:02am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
Sport Pilot license for me.  Got it by being "grandfathered in" when the program first started so the cost was almost nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 32
Greg Doe
May 27, 2019, 4:19am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 40 days 14 hours 20 minutes
Private pilot license, but not current. I think you will find many ultra light pilots, and light sport pilots who had a license in the past, but can't pass the physical, or aren't interested in the hassle of becoming current. I got mine in about 1974.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 32
Phil
May 27, 2019, 4:40am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 4 hours 23 minutes
Quoted from Greg Doe
Private pilot license, but not current. I think you will find many ultra light pilots, and light sport pilots who had a license in the past, but can't pass the physical, or aren't interested in the hassle of becoming current. I got mine in about 1974.

The same reason except medical not an issue got my PPL 1990.

Phil
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 32
Antoni
May 27, 2019, 7:22am Report to Moderator

'Max, Chaser and Quik fan
Ace
Time Online: 2 days 2 hours 53 minutes
Quoted from radfordc
..... being "grandfathered in" when the program first started...

First time I saw an affordable flying machine was in abt 1984. It was in the garage of someone who had advertised a motorcycle for sale. The poor sod was subjected to an hour's grilling.

In the UK then it was legal for anyone to fly unregistered lightweight powered aircraft, until it wasn't. He explained that if you could show you were flying before the mandatory licence was needed you would be *given* the paperwork - I believe he was.

I spent thousands and got a licence. UK rules changed recently and we can fly super lightweigt aircraft without a licence again (see wiki).

But yes, PPL A (M).  300 kilogram single 450 kg dual.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 32
Cy V
May 27, 2019, 10:08am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 14 days 16 hours 49 minutes
I've had my private pilot's license since 1999. I'm not current though.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 32
beragoobruce
May 28, 2019, 10:46am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 10 hours 59 minutes
PPL since 1986 - now lapsed

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 32
Arthur Withy
May 28, 2019, 12:54pm Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Recreational  pilots license..  here in OZ..about $5000 invested...over 25 years...always upgrading as the rules  continually change...its one  just below General Aviation in Australia.....I've flown GA aircraft with ease...I just dont need do the medicals.....however ....25 years ago we needed the medicals for carrying passengers...now we dont...go figure....thems the rules...LOL

I've never enjoyed the process.....seems like big brother to me....however to do my PPL in Australia is just another step....probably 5 hours in command, a medical, and a couple of exams in theory. ...problem is the operating costs under GA.  Annual here in Oz are probably 5K....$$$$$ per aircraft per year...now ...imagine spending $5K on the minimax to get a piece of paper to say you can keep flying....buggar that.
...ohh PS...I've legally flown an RV7 with 180 HP ...and cruzing at 153 -knots....in Oz as an Ultralight....however Im restricted to stay outside controlled airspace....unless I do a heap of paperwork.  And our rules are different to the USA.  I cannot even fly an RC aircraft with out joining the appropriate club here in OZ...and have a bloody rating....WTF...
regards  Arthur  another PS...I recently flew an accomplished  legal RC modelers A/C...it was a pattern ship...and after 3 passes about ...(less than 3 mins stick time and I hadn't flown RC for at least 28 years) the owner said I flew it better than himself....I did a slow role...a 4 pointer...and an Avalanche...(loop with a snap role at the top)

I did feel good about it....however the weather was excellent....

my theory is fly ,have fun and stay safe....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 32
aeronut
May 28, 2019, 2:29pm Report to Moderator

blue sky and tail winds to everyone
Ace
Time Online: 28 days 22 hours 31 minutes
Yup I am similar to the rest of the group; private pilot license in 73 and seaplane in 76. I have never been refused a 3rd class but I do not have one currently . I have owned a 1957 7ec 90hp Champ and a J3 Cub with an O-200 on floats and a Van's RV-3 and the Mini-Max that I built.I know about the pucker factor at annual time. I enjoy my Max and can afford it; but never think that flying is not expensive cause it really is. I am looking at a recover on Max this year and it is going to be expensive and time consuming. And will not increase the value except to me. The need to fly is difficult to explain but we seem to crave it. I really do not like the amount of control that the government has in everyone's life. It is a sad fact that we ourselves are to blame cause we are permitting government control to grow larger and larger.I am 71 this summer and I will never realize any monetary gain from owning my Max but it is good for the soul.        

never surrender; never give-up
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 32
fiebichpv
May 28, 2019, 5:02pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Got  my Private in '91, a few years ago I let it roll over to the Sport Pilot. Still get a BFR every two years but no longer need the 3rd class medical as a driver's licence replaces it. I am current. My AirBike was built as EXPERIMENTAL and stays that way.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 32
PUFF
May 29, 2019, 11:58am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
Actually there's a new medical process called Basic Med that can replace it for essentially private pilots. I took my PPL using it, as I just didn't feel like going back thru the medical cert. However it's up to your Private Physician to complete, and mine was more difficult than the AME. It lasts 4 years, and you recertify. However, the impetus is of course that you self-assess your own condition before every flight. Which is Normal.

Look up BASIC MED, it may help someone you know.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 32
Max SSDR
May 29, 2019, 7:27pm Report to Moderator
If it flies, floats or fornicates.... rent it!
Flight Leader
Time Online: 3 days 18 hours 44 minutes
UK PPL + Night Rating, 3000hrs, smallest flown, possibly Minimax, but originally a Sluka Single Seat ultralite. AA5-B/Tiger/PA28 Cherokee/Warrior and Archer/Shadow B/C and Streak, ARV2 (I soloed in it) J3 Cub, Super Cub, Taylorcraft BC-12D (flown solo to N.Africa 2000 miles, sleeping under the wing, map and compass, no GPS), Jodels various including D9 Bebe, Robin DR400, Cesspit 150/152/Aerobat/172, Piper Saratoga, and the ultimate red letter day, a flight in the Collings Foundation Mitchell B25 from Manchester NH to NY and back - I'm sure there are a couple of others that have sneaked under the radar.

Still have a full PPL A but now downgraded to LAPL with a Self Declaration medical. I can't see myself wanting to fly spam cans across Europe anymore but my interest in ultralights increases with age!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 32
beragoobruce
May 30, 2019, 4:36am Report to Moderator
Ace
Hey Max SSDR

Interested to see you've flown the ARV Super2. What do you think of it, compared to the other similar aircraft you've flown?

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 32
Max SSDR
May 30, 2019, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from beragoobruce
Hey Max SSDR

Interested to see you've flown the ARV Super2. What do you think of it, compared to the other similar aircraft you've flown?

Bruce

I flew one of the originals with the 3 cylinder Hewland 2 stroke. As a flying machine the ARV is a very nice plane to fly. With a shoulder wing and a uncluttered forward view it's got a lot more allround viz. It's a pretty cozy 2 seater! Wheels a little small for strip work but generally I think it's a great little aircraft. The later ones were sold as kits and had Rotax 912 engines; much more reliable than the Hewlands!

I'd have one
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 32
beragoobruce
May 31, 2019, 1:52am Report to Moderator
Ace
Yes, the Hewland was basically a good engine but suffered from lack of development. The early Super2 owners were the test pilots. Shame the original fit wasn't the Jabiru engine, which might have improved viability.

Where were you flying with the Hewland powered Super2? Must have been back in the late 80's. Good to hear your positive comments on the airframe.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 32
Max SSDR
May 31, 2019, 6:38pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from beragoobruce
Yes, the Hewland was basically a good engine but suffered from lack of development. The early Super2 owners were the test pilots. Shame the original fit wasn't the Jabiru engine, which might have improved viability.

Where were you flying with the Hewland powered Super2? Must have been back in the late 80's. Good to hear your positive comments on the airframe.

Bruce

I did some of my training on it in 1986/87 and then did my first solo in it at Bournemouth airport. I lined up behind a 737 as the light was just beginning to go on 30th September 1987 Called for a delay to allow for wake turbulence and then lined up just like a real pilot   It was my 40th birthday and the best present anyone could have given me! I went home, took my wife out for an Italian meal and for the life of me I can't remember anything about that evening!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 32
beragoobruce
May 31, 2019, 10:43pm Report to Moderator
Ace
That must have been with Derek(?) in G-OPIG?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 32
Max SSDR
June 1, 2019, 1:32pm Report to Moderator
Flight Leader
Quoted from beragoobruce
That must have been with Derek(?) in G-OPIG?  

Spot on!  

Derek Davidson, still instructing in fact. Did you know Ron Hayter? Wizened old ex-Hurricane jockey; he rapped me across the knuckles with his nav ruler shouting "airspeed, airspeed!"  

And how about this for getting lucky!! Just the very next day after my late afternoon solo (and NO, I didn't make a heavy landing!) - Noseleg collapse due to fatigue

https://assets.publishing.serv....._2__G-OPIG_02-88.pdf
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 32
RedBird
June 8, 2019, 6:34pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 15 days 15 hours 4 minutes
started flight training in โ€˜03. Was on off until earned Sport certificate in โ€˜06. Flew 11AC across USA twice that way. Went ahead and earned Private a few years later. Have tailwheel and complex endorsements (Mooney M20A). Inconsistent flying over the years, but have put together almost 1000 hrs, including 5 USA XC flights. Havenโ€™t flown for a couple years at moment, due to life circumstances, but getting back into it. Also dusting off Eros project AGAIN ๐Ÿ˜Ž.

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 32
texasbuzzard
June 8, 2019, 7:56pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
Red bird glad to hear from you. Always enjoyed your posts. Iโ€™m still flying my air bike and now summer is here I can enjoy it more.

Monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 32
RedBird
June 8, 2019, 10:59pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from texasbuzzard
Red bird glad to hear from you. Always enjoyed your posts. Iโ€™m still flying my air bike and now summer is here I can enjoy it more.

Monte

Thanks Monte!, Glad to be back, for a while I hope. Aviation has had to take a back seat for a bit, but I want back in. I hear you, re summer!!๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘โœŒ๏ธ

Why focus on proving how great you are, when you could focus on becoming better?...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 32
PUFF
June 10, 2019, 12:08pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 34 days 6 hours 18 minutes
I feel ya, I'm out for the rest of the year myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 32
cdlwingnut
September 7, 2019, 1:17am Report to Moderator
Ace
Time Online: 3 days 22 hours 22 minutes
commercial single engine and multi engine, Instrument, CFI airplane single and multi engine instrument airplane.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 32
petemitchell
September 7, 2019, 2:57pm Report to Moderator
Fledgling Member
Time Online: 9 hours 38 minutes
I'm new to the forum, so this will be my introduction.  US private pilot, started working on my instrument.  It was fun for a couple of hours, then I got bored being in the clouds.  I like to see the world around me.  I've flown Cessna 150/152/172, Piper Warrior/Archer/Arrow/Twin Comanche, Diamond DA20, Cirrus SR20, Sling 2 LSA, a glider, and a R22 helicopter.  The most fun I have had flying is in the Sling 2 LSA, awesome plane.  I started building a Hummelbird a few years ago.  Now I realize that I want a full VW engine up front.  Putting my pennies together to get the VMax kit.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 32
nathan.bissonette
September 9, 2019, 4:10pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 1 days 9 hours 13 minutes
Welcome to the forum, Pete.  These guys have an awesome amount of knowledge and unlimited willingness to share, helped me immensely.  And thanks for the reply!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 32
Avenger
February 7, 2020, 9:38pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 47 days 8 hours 2 minutes
got my sport license about 10 years ago at 60

The light at the end of the tunnel has been sold to China, if you need the light at the end of the tunnel please send 100 Yen.
Logged Offline
Private Message YIM Reply: 26 - 32
JGlassFNP
August 8, 2020, 4:07am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
Fighter pilot  here!  I fight with my wife every time I want to go fly Been flying uphill both ways in the snow and with No shoes on, lol
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 32
JGlassFNP
August 8, 2020, 4:08am Report to Moderator

Wing Man
Time Online: 8 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from petemitchell
I'm new to the forum, so this will be my introduction.  US private pilot, started working on my instrument.  It was fun for a couple of hours, then I got bored being in the clouds.  I like to see the world around me.  I've flown Cessna 150/152/172, Piper Warrior/Archer/Arrow/Twin Comanche, Diamond DA20, Cirrus SR20, Sling 2 LSA, a glider, and a R22 helicopter.  The most fun I have had flying is in the Sling 2 LSA, awesome plane.  I started building a Hummelbird a few years ago.  Now I realize that I want a full VW engine up front.  Putting my pennies together to get the VMax kit.

Welcome home. VMax here...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 28 - 32
RedBird
April 29, 2021, 11:12pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Quoted from texasbuzzard

Monte

Well lets try this aviation/experimental/minimax/hobby thing one more time (at least  )... Never did I imagine life would be such a winding road... but I have plenty to be thankful for... so lets see if I can make any more progress in 2021...  Looking forward to catching up with posts...

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 32
2 Pages 1 2 » Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Off Topic  ›  how many certificated pilots?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment