Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    miniMax, Hi-Max, and AirBike General Discussions  ›  AirBike Down Thrust Moderators: Administrator Group
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

AirBike Down Thrust  This thread currently has 263 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
joe.scalet
April 12, 2018, 11:59pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
As owner of what I believe is the prototype AirBike I have observed that in flight the aircraft requires constant back pressure on the stick. This aircraft has about 3-5 degrees down thrust in the engine mount (Rotax 447). I do not have any plans or documentation for this aircraft. Do the plans for subsequent AirBikes specify any down or side thrust?
Thanks
Joe Scalet
Logged Offline
Private Message
radfordc
April 13, 2018, 3:06am Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 18 days 1 hours
I don't recall any downthrust in my engine.  Most likely you are just nose heavy.  The prototype Airbike used a 277.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 5
beragoobruce
April 13, 2018, 4:20am Report to Moderator
Built an Eros - now I'm flying it!
Ace
Time Online: 19 days 11 hours 6 minutes
If the elevator arrangement is the same as the Max, the elevator will droop under its own weight. Fixed using either bungee cord on stick, or aerodynamic trim tab.

I don't know how you'd tell if it was pitching down due to nose heaviness or if elevator droop was the cause. But if you've done a W&B check that should rule out nose the heavy case.

Bruce
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 5
texasbuzzard
April 13, 2018, 12:42pm Report to Moderator

airbike Buzzard
Ace
Time Online: 8 days 23 hours 51 minutes
I have an adjustable spring connecting the elevator horn to the Teleflex cable anchor post. I am able to adjust it so there in almost no pressure on the stick.

monte
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 5
fiebichpv
April 13, 2018, 1:06pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 20 minutes
My plans show zero down thrust and zero left or right thrust. As with Monte, my elevator also has a spring to "trim"it. You might try putting your glasses on then you won't have to lean so far forward to see where you are going;-} By leaning forward you are likely throwing the CG out of whack. Have fun and tolerate the wisecracks.

Paul Fiebich
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 5
joe.scalet
April 14, 2018, 7:06pm Report to Moderator

Flight Leader
Time Online: 2 days 1 hours 58 minutes
Thanks Paul, that was the answer I was looking for as I do not have a copy of the plans (if indeed there ever were any). I believe the down thrust in my engine came about with the adaptation  from the original Zenoah and the subsequent Rotax 277 mounts. My W&B is right where it should be, The horizontal stab is welded in place so it is either drooping elevator or down thrust. Flight test card will tell.
Joe
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment