Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Around the Patch
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Around the Patch  This thread currently has 831 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
BlueMax
September 26, 2008, 1:06am Report to Moderator

1550 Vmax w/ Eros canopy mod
Ace
Time Online: 35 days 15 hours 29 minutes
Well guys,

My long wait and many miles traveled to find flight instructors finally paid off, I took my Legal Eagle around the patch tonight.
My plan was to take off and climb to about 1500ft and remain there for abot 15 minutes. Unfortunately this did not work out as my temp problem resurfaced as I climbed through 100ft forcing me to return to the field.

Given the fact that this was my first flight and it was very brief I think I did quite well. I advanced the throttle to max and left the runway at about 30mph. After I climbed through 100ft I looked scaned my panel and discovered my cht was 4 hundred and climbing! I made a poorly coordinated left 180 at about 300ft to begin my downwind leg, I proceeded north to what felt about the right spot reduced power and made I much nicer decending 180 to the left to put me on final. After clearing the trees at the north end of the field I cut the power and setteled in for a somewhat bouncy landing. I taxied back shaking my head at the cht gauge and smiling at how well the plane performed.

I will be out at the field again tomorrow looking into a different cht probe location and making another flight or 2 if I like my temp results.

Happy flying
Chris

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
MiniMaxMan
September 26, 2008, 3:07am Report to Moderator

Minimax and Sonerai Pilot
Ace
Time Online: 12 days 3 hours 57 minutes
Cool!!!  Glad you went ahead and did it!  You aren't the only person that thinks you handled it well, you DID handle things well. I hope you get your temps figured out and wish you many happy hours of flying. Good job buddy..................

M3

-------------------------------------------------
"If in doubt, Chicken out."   
-------------------------------------------------          
                <"":     .:?
                  [    \''''#/
                   **/**\*  
                     ^  ^
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
Arthur Withy
September 26, 2008, 9:01am Report to Moderator

Happy 1500R owner - building a Jodel D18
Ace
Time Online: 32 days 12 hours 14 minutes
Ok good work on your milestone, WELL DONE....now work hard on sorting the engine.

Dont forget photos so we can see the bugs on your teeth from smiling..!

regards Arthur
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
Knut A
September 26, 2008, 2:03pm Report to Moderator

LN-YJE
Ace
Time Online: 21 days 16 hours 8 minutes
CPD
Congrat with your maiden flight!!!
And don't forget pics....
Knut A
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
fiebichpv
September 26, 2008, 2:46pm Report to Moderator

A/B Plans #112 has 1008 hours as of 02-09-2015
Ace
Time Online: 36 days 13 hours 14 minutes
Congratulation on your maiden flight Chris!  

You deserve recognition not only for this flight but for an  outstanding sequence of events leading up  to it.  You executed a dedicated and thorough search for an appropriate airplane, you sought out a quallified CFI (Monte Jestus) and took lessons in his GA plane, you then sought instruction in a two-seat ultralight again from a CFI.  You went over your plane meticulously to ensure its integrity, practiced ground handling and crow hopping then, sought out another experienced flier to give your plane a final inspection.  

All of the above took time, patience and problem solving.  Finally even though the plane and you were ready you waited and waited for your BRS to arrive knowing that it would affect your CG positively even though you could fly without it.  You wanted the best condition for your plane's flying  stability.  You then waited for just the right weather conditions for that all  important maiden flight: cool evening, very little breeze and a collection of friends to watch and record the event and be ready for action if needed.

Chris, you have demonstrated a great deal of patience, thoroughness, and restraint during this entire process, a lesser man would have said "to hell with all this stuff" and taken an unwise chance and tried to fly when unprepared.  You are undoubtably a serious pilot intent on flying safely all your life, you have set the course to do just that.  My helmet is off to you and I salute you for all that you have acomplished in the past several months. I would not hesitate to ask your advice or observations relative to flying, welcome to that small group of people who find enjoyment in flying and the friendships that develop because of it.  All of us here on the board have watched your progress and responded to your contributions as well as your questions. We are all proud of you.

As you develop your skill and navigating ability we look forward to your participation at fly-ins, cross-country trips and perhaps  even formation smoke fly-bys!!!

I wish  you good luck and lots of fun with your Legal Eagle, successive planes and aviation career at the Wichita Technical College!  You are off to a flying start!

Below is a photo of you taking off on that maiden flight and one of you doing your pre-flight inspection----again.

Paul Fiebich
a.k.a.  AirBike Ace

Attachment: first_flight_etlb_6792.jpg
Size: 22.63 KB

Attachment: preflight_etlb_1398.jpg
Size: 62.97 KB

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
BlueMax
September 26, 2008, 9:13pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Thanks for the comments guys,

I am getting ready to head for the hanger to do some more flying if my engine temps will cooperate.

Chis

Remember, in aviation death sentences are administered by the laws of physics, not the FAA.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
djohn
September 26, 2008, 10:21pm Report to Moderator

Ace
Time Online: 24 days 19 hours 31 minutes
Wow Paul I can't add to that, and I agree with all of it!

Congrats Chris!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
BlueMax
September 27, 2008, 1:35am Report to Moderator

Ace
Well guys,

I put another 30 minutes on the plane tonight, my temps were in the green and the air was smooth. I will try and upload some pics later.

Chris

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

ETLB Squawk Forums    Building and Flying Related Boards    Flying Stories  ›  Around the Patch

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Click here for The photo of the Moment